Monday, October 25, 2010

Riding the Storm Out

Riding the Storm out.

NOTE: Since I couldn’t post, this one will consist of a litany of thoughts and happenings over the course of the last couple of days. I just wrote as it happened. Hopefully you can follow.

Sunday - October 24, 2010

They came early to board up the outside French doors – about .  It’s dark in here! I think Gerald and I will be catching up on the napping for sure! It looks now as if the worst of it is going to be northern Belize…where we are going on November 20. I hope they get it pulled together before we get there!

The locals are pulling their boats up on shore so it sort of looks like a storm has been here pushing everything on land already! It will be interesting to see how they push these big ones back into the water!

Last night coming home from town, we stopped at Yoli’s a little palapa bar that sits over the water. There is some great furniture that looks like it has been made from wood remnants found after a storm. But there is concern it may not last if the water is rough.  The last storm that came through already sucked some of the sand out from underneath one of the concrete pillars, so it tilts on the one end. I thought they did it on purpose…to let the rain drain off…or to mess with the drunks! (it’s an idea I’m putting on the list for Stupies!)  We sat and ordered a pineapple juice and coconut rum drink…which they call “Ponti Rippah”.  The way they make them there…I’d say it’s more of a “Head Rippah”…cause you are going to fall down and bust your noggin if you drink a few of these! (or they may just make them strong for the girls!) hmmmm?

After the 1 Ponti Rippah, we head back.  We meet a lady that we had seen while we were going into Yoli’s and she was leaving.  Her name is Brenda.  She was very friendly and apparently fixes food and sells it – sort of a street vendor out of her house (very common here for the locals to cook for tourists and even some of the locals).  She gave us 2 chicken tamales. They were very tasty – made with the whole chicken wing inside! Good thing I didn’t just chomp into it!   She also makes macaroons, lemon and coconut tarts and cakes. We’re going back later this morning to pick up some macaroons.  Might as well have some sweets to ride out this storm!

I forgot to mention yesterday that when we were in town to get shrimp for Gerald to fish with, a little boy came riding his bike by the golf cart, and made a quick left turn - racing around in a circle showing off a little. The seat of his bike fell off…the seat was a coconut husk! Ride careful young man!

We also found out that Royal Caribbean wants to come into Placencia and build a large dock etc. The locals don’t want it at all. And they are probably right in saying so.  They had a big meeting in the open ball field and I hear it was not pretty.  Some wanted to go see the fireworks…but we stayed home.

Waiting for this storm to pass is boring! We’ve walked (not biked) to town twice. It’s only a little breezy and rains occasionally. I suppose it will wait until to do the worst! Figures.

We visited the neighbors, Bobby and Jan, this afternoon. Their place is very nicely decorated. I wanted to rent their place initially, but it wasn’t available for the full time we are here.

But I got the macaroons! They aren’t exactly like what I envisioned, more like a soft granola…but yummy!  They are made with fresh coconut and raw sugar. Just like candy.  Perfect for me! =)

Gerald is fishing again. Guess I’ll make another Rippah and take a nap!

Didn’t get a nap. The wind is picking up, but not much, and the electricity went out. Reminds me of when we first moved to Winfield in 1987…anytime the wind blew…we lost power! No internet either…so no contact to the outside world. I have my phone…so I can use it if I need to.

We go to bed at . What else are you going to do? I had a candle burning…which only made heat, and I didn’t want to waste the flashlight batteries…god knows how long we will be without power!

Monday - October 25, 2010:  

It was a restless night. Not because of the noise…there was hardly any. It was because it was so hot since we had the doors closed, so there was no air movement, and the mosquitoes and no-see-ums were looking for a place to shelter (which unfortunately was in our condo) and they were in full force!

We took a look outside.  If you didn’t know there was a hurricane that came through last night…you wouldn’t know anything happened at all. It’s a beautiful morning.  No debris anywhere here. The only sign of something odd is we have no electricity…which means no running water.  But you can have that at any given time in the tropics. Luckily, the water is from a cistern which is gravity fed from the main line. We can get water from the spigot if we run out of what we have in the condo.  We also have a gas stove…so I was able to make coffee this morning.  It was camp style, but if you’re a coffee drinker, you don’t care as long as you get coffee.  It’s so strong it can walk to you, but hey, it’s coffee! 

Gerald ate a banana for breakfast.  I could cook on the stove, but I don’t want to open the fridge so we can keep the food cold longer.  I told you he would lose weight.  I also brought those Wisp toothbrush things, so we are able to brush the mung off our teeth without using water.  The fridge doesn’t seem to want to shut and everything is sweating.  Nice. 

We sit and enjoy (sort of) our coffee and take in the scenery.  The only noise is the generator running from the house down the street. Should have put one of those in my purse before I left… 

Gerald’s gone fishing again. They actually caught several last night in the rain.  We’ve seen several jumping in the water this morning so I’m sure he got the itch to fish! They were calling to him I’m sure!

I got a feeling it’s going to be a long hot day.  There is NO wind at all right now...and the sun is shining bright as can be. Better put another layer of deodorant on!

The guys are trying to get the boat back in the water.  9 men and a boy.  Comedy!

I’ve worn a blister in my hand from sweeping.  Just what I need … a place to invite infection.  Bandaid and Polysporin to the rescue…which you know I have in my purse. But I’m sweating too much and my bandages won’t stick! ARGH!

Gerald heard that the entire country of Belize is out of power. Great. It’s going to be a long 30 days in Placencia.

My phone is low on power, so I think I’ll turn it off to conserve it for an emergency. I’ll text Judy so she can let everyone know we’re ok.

Guess I’ll help Francisco get out the pool furniture and straighten up. We all help and it goes fast. We contemplate that there is no water in the lines to the condos, so no baths…and the pool looks inviting…especially since it is so hot.  Everyone agrees, except there is no electricity, which means the pump isn’t on, which means it’s just a bunch of people soaking in a large tub.  EW! I can’t get in, so I guess I’ll just sit here and sweat. Maybe if I stop moving I’ll cool off, so I decide I’ll sit and read my book. I now understand why they move slowly in the tropics!

Gerald comes in and says he is starving (told ya!) but I don’t want to heat up the kitchen anymore than I have to.  So I wrap a couple of tortillas and cheese in foil and set them in the sun – it’s hot enough to melt it for sure! I could probably fry an egg!  It gives me another idea for dinner…so I clean some potatoes, slice them with onion, garlic, a little butter, S&P and seal them in foil. Sounds good anyway.  Wonder if I’ll have cooked food by the end of the week?

Gerald is having fun with all the neighbors in the giant “tub.” He comes over looking for the cheese tortillas I made to take back with him.  I only made a couple.  So…I get the skillets out and make a couple dozen more. He takes them to the tub party…I mean pool party, along with the guacamole I made, and they apparently enjoy them. None came back anyway!

Have to keep an eye out on my potatoes…the birds are pecking on the foil trying to get in it! SHOO BIRDS! OR YOU WILL BE NEXT ON MY DINNER PLATE!

I start thinking about things I should do to get ready in case we don’t get power back on for a few days.  How to conserve water, what to cook, how to preserve the food we have. I realize I’m a lot more like my brother than I thought! Be prepared. Think ahead. (but I’m not hiding in any bushes…I can tell you that right now! =)

4:36pm.... YAY!!!!!  THE ELECTRIC IS ON!!!!  ALL IS GOOD WITH THE WORLD NOW! I CAN BATHE AND SHAVE MY LEGS! 

Electricity off again.  =(  
Electricity on! =)  
Electricity off. =(
Electricity on! =)
Common! Really?
Off.
On.  And for an extended time. I take advantage and take a shower.  Ah…to be clean and smell the wonderful scent of Dove soap…which is quickly overpowered by the smell of Deep Woods Off! (with Deet of course)

My potatoes aren’t done yet…go figure…so I throw them in a frying pan. I’m sure they will taste just as good.  But it was a fun idea!

Gerald is back. He's done playing at the pool party and says everyone wants to go out to eat…(sigh…)

2 comments:

  1. So glad to read again. Thought we would never hear from you again. Sounds hot and buggy over there but glad you guys are safe. So you really didn't get the brunt of the hurricane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are too funny.....I'm telling you....write a book and you can have these experiences forever.....tho I'm not sure you want too....

    ReplyDelete