Thursday, October 21, 2010

We're Here!

Day 1 - October 20, 2010:  It started at The alarm is set for 6. But who can sleep? We’re getting ready to leave for 2 months in Belize! I’ve had an eerie sense of calm since we left the house, which means I’m forgetting something. But off we went to the Airport nonetheless, with 32 bags of luggage. Ok. Ok. It was only 8 bags - total. But saying 32 first, then 8, makes it seem less massive. I just can’t pack light. I’ve tried. I really have! Have you seen my purse? It alone weighs 30 lbs. I have to bring my entire house with me! My Chiropractor hates it.  

But we made it through the flights ok – except for the brief period in Houston when we were about to taxi out, that I thought I lost my passport and nearly went into hysterics. The flight crew for Continental was fabulous. It could have been ugly. But, nothing is simple with me.

We land in Belize City. Standard small country airport and facilities. Immigration – no problem.  Customs – nothing like being interrogated like a smuggler. “Why are you here?” “Why are you staying so long?” “Why do you have so many bags?” “What did you pack in there?” “Did you bring any meats, vegetables or wild animals in them?”  What?  Have you seen my purse? =) Apparently she had. Thankfully we were allowed to pass unmolested. But I did learn that anything brought into this country with the intent of being used or consumed here, must be “declared” and a duty (or tax) paid on it. Of course, that means everything in my suitcases (and purse). It also explains why the “Duty Free” shops, where you would customarily buy liquor when you leave, were BEFORE the customs check point at arrival! I even heard a lady say she had to pay a duty on Christmas lights she brought down to use over the holiday! Lesson learned. I was lucky.

So then we catch the itty bitty plane to Placencia. Make one quick stop in Dangriga, then finally landed at the shed…err… “Airport” in Placencia. Nice. But clean.


We were picked up by Sheldon, who was sent by the owners of the condo.  He was very nice, helpful and didn’t blink or complain about my suitcases. I love Sheldon…he is my new best friend! Sheldon brings us to the condo, we unload the “cargo,” go get a bite to eat, then come back to the condo. It’s only , but we’ve had a long day. Not one suitcase was touched or unpacked. We crashed. And slept well.

Day 2 - October 21, 2010:  It started at . AM! The alarm is not set, but who can sleep? We’re in Belize for 2 months! I make coffee and begin to unpack the luggage. Unfortunately, it appears to me that the condo has been closed up for some time and needs to be cleaned. Bad. Then I find dried food on some of the dishes and the germophobe in me rears its ugly head.  I have to clean and sterilize - everything! Unfortunately, I only have 2 Clorox wipes left! Disaster! Don’t panic, I found some sterile solution and dishwashing liquid.  It will do until I get to the store.  I clean every dish. I wipe. I spray. I sweep. I rearrange. My hands are raw. I clean more than I have in I don’t know how long. (Machelle and Judy – you would have been proud!).

Eventually I slow down unpacking and cleaning so I can figure out how to set up my computer here. I discover what I forgot. Drat! No wireless mouse or webcam! Luckily I have my iPhone and it saves the day.

The east and west doors to the condo are open and a wonderful breeze is blowing through the condo – helping me to clear the stuffy air in here and chase out those darn dust-bunnies! I even have all the ceiling fans going (at jet speed Machelle!).  So I sit at the kitchen island, and begin working on the computer. I look up to grab my (clean) cup of coffee to take a sip and the view catches my eye.  Even on a cloudy day … it’s beautiful, and peaceful and I think I might like it here. I smile and it’s a good feeling.

3 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful!! Sorry you had to work your tail off the first day being there. I'm sure thouse it will be very memorable. I love how you have the website! Enjoy and talk more soon. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is great. What a story this will be!
    Can't wait for the next page...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sounds great except for the lost passport and cleaning. Will check in tomorrow

    ReplyDelete