Thursday, April 7, 2011

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Wednesday, April 06, 2011:

Now that I have internet, it’s the first thing I do in the morning! Check the e-mails and I also needed to follow up with bills too! (we've been playing for the last couple of weeks!) Plus, now we are having to deal with COBRA insurance requirements and elections since Pundmann just notified us that they have decided not to offer retiree insurance any longer as of April 1.  Wish they would have said something to Gerald before, it would have made a different on when he retired. I would say that one should have a backup plan for everything, but it’s difficult to have a backup and second contingent plan for everything. (even for me – Ms. Always Prepared!)  But sometimes you rely on the information given to you and make plans based upon that, and it changes.  So you have to adapt.  It unfortunately creates another problem that we have to deal with from a distance – just wish it would have been at a better time … and not now! 

In checking the bills status I got another shock.  Since our credit card was stolen, we had to have an emergency replacement card sent to us.  Unfortunately, since we were not at home, Capital One only sent one replacement card, for me (they know who uses it most! =).  But that means if Gerald is out and about by himself and needs or wants to buy something, he has to use cash or another card.  Luckily, we did bring an emergency back up card from Bank of America and he has used that if I’m not with him. But with my bad leg I couldn't go with him, especially in the beginning. So when I reviewed the statement this morning, I found out that Bank of America charges an exchange fee for international purchases, even if the purchase is made in us dollars when no conversion is necessary. Capital One does not do that, which is one of the many reasons why we preferred to use their card in the first place. The fee is a total rip off anyway, just another way for them to get more money from the consumers, in a seemingly legitimate way.  I messed up and didn’t think of that when saying it was ok for Gerald to use that card here.  In St. Croix there wasn’t a problem, it’s technically the US…but it got us here in a bad way!  In hindsight, what I should have done before we left home was applied for another Capital One card as a backup instead of the Bank of America card.  Lesson learned.  We won’t be using that card again!   It’s my recommendation, if you travel, is that you either double check with your credit card company or not use any card that charges conversion fees. I know for sure Capital One does not!

I’ve done what I can on the internet, and the wind seems to have died down so we will have to go to the beach today.  Totally a requirement!  We haven’t been to the beach in a couple of days, so I’m having withdrawal anyway! We make a lunch, pack the beach bags and head out.  The remaining gang (Mark, Bonnie, Paul and Debbie) are already there.  We’ve brought all the equipment (chairs, umbrella, towels, Nook, drink and food), but we forgot the bracket that holds the umbrella neck and keeps it from tilting. Of course, I don’t need the umbrella since I like to fry in the sun like an egg, but Gerald wants to be in the shade, so he has decided that he will just rent one for today. As we were waiting for the umbrella and chair guy to show up, Paul got in MacGyver mode while looking at the new gadget we bought at Kooeyman.  It’s like a gigantic  tent stake that goes in the sand and attaches to the bottom of the umbrella.  Sometimes it’s hard to get the umbrella jammed in the sand when the pointy end cap is gone, and this thing is like a sword with a spiked end – you would impale yourself if you fell on it! But it goes in the sand pretty easy, and we needed it since Bob took his home! =)  But Paul got to looking at it while he was sitting there, and you could almost hear the gears working!  So just before the umbrella/chair guy got there and Gerald hailed him down to put up an umbrella, Paul stood and gave the challenge! He had an idea of how to make it work!  In no time the umbrella was in the ground and the new gadget was used in place of the bracket and all was well with the world!  Precious shade was abundantly available under the 8ft rainbow umbrella! THANKS PAUL! Gerald never would have done it if I had suggested it! Glad you were there Paul. You saved the day!

The beach was great today.  I asked about the wind yesterday and they said it wasn’t really bad in the second row. But today was perfect! I got in the water without injury (despite a rogue wave hitting me!) and out was not a problem either.  The only problem I had today was not applying sunscreen when I got to the beach.  I normally do, but I guess today I was so excited to be out there, I just forgot! Perhaps I was just in awe of the skill Paul showed with the multipurpose giant tent stake that I was thrown off guard. Who knows, but it could have been tragic. Thankfully I looked down between reading pages of my Nook book and was freaked out by the dry skin (which salt water doesn’t help) and then remembered that I didn’t put any lotion on today at all! Yikes! I could then feel the tightness of the sunburn! On goes the suntan lotion! Better late than never I guess!

The beach, regardless, was stellar. Not much happened, which is ok sometimes.  Ken & Barbie changed outfits 4 times today (instead of the usual 3).  Barbie’s chair broke, which I missed because I was in the water. Volleyball at 4pm, which we have avoided since we have been here. (who wants a 1 legged player anyway! Just like school!)  At 4:30 it was past our normal time to leave the beach.  Plus the salt water is starting to burn the skin! Need to get home so I can shower and wash the salt off  so I can play on the internet some more! Sweeeeeet!

Got home, showered, made dinner, ate, listened to the Princess Cruise Ship’s horn sound three times and watched it leave port. 

More internet and blogging.  Gerald has already gone to bed and I can hear him snoring. Guess I better get to bed too. I hope I sleep as good as I did last night! The wind has died down and with the comfy mattress pad, I have high hopes of a good nights sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment