Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday, January 22, 2011:

Well we only argued a little bit about the re-wrapping of my leg last night, but finally got it done. I was exhausted!

Apparently our neighbor went out last night too. Well, we assume he went out cat’n around, because his cologne went through our condo like a gas cloud. Peeeeeuuuuu! He makes lots of noise every time he comes and goes and he has his condo cleaned every day!  So far, all we have seen is him – no one else. He’s been here since about Tuesday.

It rained this morning, and is a little cloudy.  Not sure if I want to risk going to the pool because if it starts raining again, I’m just going to have to lay in the rain … not like I can move fast or anything.  It would be over before I even got up and out of the pool area. So I guess I will just stay on the deck today. Now it’s raining again…up here is probably going to be a better idea until the sky clears up!  Don’t know what else I can do.  Guess I’ll just wait and see what Gerald gets into!

I hear home is going to get more snow…I think we picked a good year to get out of Dodge!

This morning, Gerald is going to the store to get some frozen peas or corn, or something, to use as an ice bag.  The one we got from the hospital got wet last night so it must have sprung a leak or something. I’m not exactly sure, since Gerald didn’t seem to want to get up and check it out last night…so I took it off and threw it in the trash can while it melted so it wouldn’t ruin anything. This morning we tried a regular Ziploc bag, but it sweats too much and it’s just as bad at getting everything wet.  But before he left to the store, I had him make me another bag of ice in the wrap we got from the hospital, thinking that maybe it wasn’t sealed right last night or something. As some background, the hospital wrap consists of a rectangle shaped zip bag that sits inside of a felt like pouch with ties, and with two snaps to close it. Gerald has filled this one several times before and it hadn’t leaked, until last night that is … and again this morning.  After he left, I checked on the bag and sure enough, it was wet again, along with my cast and the pillow.  Since Gerald was gone, I just went ahead and got up to take it into the kitchen sink and check it out myself.  Besides, I heard some noise outside the front door and wanted to see what was going on.  Seeing the door secure and that it was only the cleaning lady next door, I went to take the ice bag to the sink. Standing at the sink, I opened the snaps to the outside pouch and quickly discovered the problem. There was the ice…not in the zip bag part…but in the pouch itself.  Gerald had put the ice in the pouch (which is not waterproof) instead of the zip bag. Well it makes sense now why it was dripping wet and getting all over me and the pillow! Oh boy…it’s going to be a long couple of weeks……

Hopefully if he gets the bags of frozen veggies…I won’t need to use the ice anymore.
Gerald comes back from the store and he has bags of peas and carrots.  Should do fine.  Makes me hungry for soup though!

I talked to Kirby today about an ortho referral. She confirmed (from her info gathering) that we made the right decision in making the appointment with another doctor. I’ve look up the injury on the internet and I don’t think I’ve hurt it too bad.  There isn’t much they can do for a sprained ankle anyway and only time will tell how bad it is (if the swelling doesn’t go down etc) and it just takes time to heal.  It has been suggested to fly to St. Thomas to see an orthopedic/radiologist over there for an MRI cause you can get it done in the same day, but I don’t think that will be necessary. I think I will just play it by ear, and see how I’m doing in a couple weeks. If it doesn’t get any better in a couple weeks, I’ll consider doing something else. Kirby has really been a life saver.  Going above and beyond our leasing agent! She has definitely worked hard and earned her fee on this one!

I’m getting better on the crutches, but these narrow hallways and doorways make it difficult to maneuver. I end up hopping a lot.  Plus, to make it more perilous, the floor is tile and if the crutch hits a rug, sometimes it slides – that’s always fun.  Then, because the end of the crutch has a rubber cup like tip, it sometimes suctions down on to the tile and yanks me back when I’m walking, and I have to stop and jimmy the crutch to get it unstuck.  Always something! 

I haven’t left the condo yet, and I’m starting to get cabin fever…even sitting on the deck.  Hopefully I’ll get to go down to the pool tomorrow to get some sun and soak my foot in the cold pool!

Well, Gerald and I made some pasta salad for dinner. It tastes pretty darned good! Guess I’ll finish that and head to bed. If anything else happens tonight…I’ll let you know tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment