Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday, January 16, 2011:

Looks like it’s going to be a pretty nice day. Hardly any clouds.  Don’t know what we are going to do yet, but whatever it is…it will be sunny!

Got a newsletter about St. Maarten (our next stop).

Cold Wave Hits St. Maarten; Nighttime Temp Plunges to 73 (With Wind Chill): Sweaters, hoodies, and scattered winter hats were reported on the island last week when nighttime temperatures here plunged to an unseasonably bone-chilling 73 degrees when you factor in the wind chill. One tourist was even seen wearing socks with his Sketchers. "I wish Dunkin Donuts was open here already," said one woman from Boston, where some Dunkin Donuts are a stone's throw from others. "I can use cup of steaming hot coffee. Brrr."


I am concerned about it being too cold there and if we should change our plans! (we are such babies!)

After breakfast, Gerald takes a walk to get a paper and I start cleaning the kitchen.  In between inspecting dishes, putting the dirty crusted ones in the dishwasher, washing down cabinets and the microwave, I take little breaks to hang off the deck and take in the breeze and view.  It’s so beautiful.  My concentration on the view is broken though by the squeaks and squeals of the mongoose down in the bushes. I’ve heard the noises many times, and have tried to run to see what the clamor was about – assuming they were fighting or playing. So of course I glance down hoping to get a quick view of the mommies, daddy and little babies playing and romping. But, no.  That is not in the cards.  What I do get to see is daddy trying to “get busy” with mommy. Nice. I didn’t mean to keep staring, but I couldn’t help it.  Then I started to chuckle. It was so typical.  Poor little guy.  There he was trying so hard to do his duty and get his business done, and she kept moving and looking around for food (or malls). Totally oblivious to his amorous advances or plight caused by her constant moving and inattentiveness. Very unromantic indeed. But he never gave up, persistent little critter that he was, he just kept trying.  That is, until she caught a lizard and then he had the audacity to try to steal it from her. But she was too quick for him and she gobbled it down before he got the chance to take it. He sniffed around in the grass to see if any scraps might have fallen in her haste to swallow it whole, but it didn’t appear that he found anything.  Defeated at his quest for the food, he quickly returned to the task at hand.  Courting the lady mongoose and plying her with his charms and suave ways. HA!!  Good luck little buddy!   ppfff…it’s a wonder that any of the species survive! =)   Well, I can tell you one thing, I will no longer try to run to see what the noise is about when I hear it again, and will try to keep the vision from popping into my mind again! Now back to cleaning.

Talked to my friend Theresa today.  She had a wild story to tell me. Suffice it to say, it’s a small world indeed.  Apparently her son Nolan has been spending time with a friend (Matt), whose mom (Trish) and dad (Ron) are long time friends of mine but I haven’t seen them in a long time. Theresa also has known Ron for years – albeit only by phone. Matt and Nolan have been playing ball together for a while now and Theresa and Ron have talked and seen each other at games, but they didn’t realize who the other was – until today.  How funny is that!  So a big hello to Theresa, Nolan, Ron, Trish, Matt and Josh too! Hope you guys are well! How funny the world is when our paths cross in such a way!

Gerald got up from his nap and said he wants to go to Smuggler’s Cove for happy hour, after that we can come back and make dinner. Might as well do something, so we get ready, walk over, sit down and have a drink.  The football game is on and there are some hard-core Jets fans in da house – with one poor Patriot fan, who eventually got run out! I believe I heard a few of the guys throwing out some BS, but no fights broke out so everything was good.  We finished our drink and came back home. I made sketti for dinner and that was pretty much the highlights of the day. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment