Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday, March 10, 2011:

Had to get up early this morning to get ready for my doctor’s appointment.  We got over there and found out that Dr. Pederson was off island.  The appointment clerk said she tried to call me “several” times and left a message, but then she said the phone was out of service.  Apparently she called the home phone…not the cell.  Although she said she left a message, but I didn’t have one on my cell.  Oh well – nothing I can do.  I rescheduled to the day before we leave for St. Martin.

Our plans after the doctor’s appointment were to head to the roadside stand we’ve seen off Hwy. 80 and get some tomatoes, then stop by the store for lettuce etc for dinner.  We followed the signs to the tomato stand and it led to a house.  Apparently it is an older couple that grows tomatoes and sells them.  Most were green, and they sell them by the bowl full.  We bought a bowl full for $5. I think she tries to put a few tomatoes in at different stages of ripening, so they ripen over the course of a few days.  We’ll see how that works. But, even at that, $5 is cheaper than the store ones.  Hopefully they taste better too. 

We stopped at the grocery store and got the supplies then brought them back to the condo.  Gerald was going to take the groceries up to the room and pick up the dress I needed to take back to the store because it had a snag. I forgot to bring it so we could take it back today while we were out.  Apparently Gerald was a little flummoxed at my instructions, because he went into the 2nd floor condo…we are on the 3rd floor! Unfortunately they don’t lock their door.  He got all the way in!  Bet they lock it from now on!

With dress in hand (from our condo), we went downtown to exchange it.  Evonne came along to pick up some cigarettes.  Got my dress exchanged (unfortunately had to get a different kind) and picked up a pair of shoes at the same time!  BONUS!!  But they are full shoes (which the doc says I NEED) and they are rubber…so easy to clean!  Most important…they are pink and cute! =)

We got back to the condo and went to the pool for a while. There’s not much wind and it is HOT! (don’t mean to rub it in!) 

For dinner tonight we’re making a chicken recipe Evonne suggested…she put it in the crock pot this morning.  (Chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, cream cheese)  It really smells good and it was good! We served the chicken over egg noodles like a stroganoff and had a salad. We were all stuffed. Ok…I was anyway.  Who wants to eat out when you get this good food at home!

After dinner we drank a little rum and played a little poker.  I lost all my money, but Gerald did pretty good.  That’s a first!  Must be the rum.
 
Tomorrow morning we are going to go look at some real estate with an agent…just to look and see a few condos and houses.  Get an idea of the area and housing.  We really like the island.  St. Martin is (was) our favorite place, but with the increase in crime, and the unwillingness of the government to step up to the plate to provide for the security of the tourists who provide income to the island does not set well with me…especially as I get older.  I don’t relish the idea of having to fend off a mugger with my walker or cane!  And so far the only down side to St. Croix is driving on the left side of the road…which we are getting very used to.  I hope we get unused to it quickly when we get to St. Martin!

Tomorrow is Evonne and John’s last full day with us.  We are pretty much going to stay close to home (after we look at the condos).  We want to soak up as much sun as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment