Monday, February 28, 2011

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday, February 27, 2011:

We read about a bar/restaurant on the west side of the island just north of Fredericksted called Coconuts on the Beach  (http://coconutsonthebeach-stx.com/).  They have entertainment and bbq on Sundays – plus a TexMex regular menu, and Gerald and I have been craving Mexican food! Besides, since it’s on the west side of the island…we should get to see a sunset!

We haven’t done anything in a couple of days. I want to rest my foot up for when Evonne & John get here and I want to be able to walk without pain (or too much anyway!) and resting it is the only way it will heal. (plus…I need to get it healed up so I can walk to the jewelry stores in St. Martin! =)

Going through Fredericksted I took some pictures of some of the old buildings on the back street. It was Sunday evening when we drove through, and no cruise ships were in, so there weren’t any business open back here.  I told you earlier about the historic and centuries old buildings that are still in the towns and how they creeped me out at night.  Well here some are.   Imagine them at night! =)

*disclaimer - pictures taken in a moving vehicle! 








So we get to Coconuts on the Beach.  Not too many people were there and the band was just starting to set up.  And when I say band, I mean a guy playing guitar and a female who harmonizes.  The sky was cloudy, but there were some breaks in the clouds, so we might have a shot at a good sunset.  Shortly after we got our seats near the beach we ordered our drinks and food.  Gerald didn’t like his brisket (too fatty) but my chicken quesadilla was really good.  





 Oh yeah...this is livin'! =) 
(even with a boot cast!)










The band started to play and they were pretty good.  Better than lots that we have seen. It was as close to country music as I’ve seen – which stands to reason since there is a BIG Texas flag flying out front!

We dodged one big rain cloud, but the next one that came through had everyone running for cover.  Most of the people left then, but some of us stayed and got to see a great sunset.  There was just enough space between the clouds that the sun peaked out and we got to see it plunge into the ocean.  What a beautiful sight! No green flash though!




 Here came the rain and evacuation to the covered area! 







This is the first sunset we have actually watched since we were in Placencia, Belize. It was a good one, but unfortunately we weren’t with friends. =(

   

No comments:

Post a Comment