Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thursday, February 03, 2011 - Happy Birthday Dad!

Today is my Dad’s birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!

Found out this morning from the cleaning lady that the Big Top is a dance troop that comes to the island every year and I guess does English/Danish Renaissance dance lessons.  Akin to ballroom dancing and salsa groups at home I suppose.  So far they have done a 9am 1 hour lesson…and then they start up at night…8pm and go till about 11! Very interesting! And sounds kind of fun. 

I was reading a local paper called the Crutian Trader (sort of like the Trading Times) and saw some wheelchairs for sale.  Gave me an idea.  Might be worth our while to maybe buy a used wheelchair and use it for walking around Fredericksted or Christiansted…or down the street for that matter.  That way we can get out of here. I still can’t walk on my foot, and if I stand too much, I end up shifting my weight and putting extra pressure on my left leg and hip, which makes that hurt!  There are a couple of med supply places…Gerald said we might look into renting as well.  I think it would be cheaper to buy a used one!

This morning, Gerald and I were talking about the money we’ve spent since we have been here. More like the money we haven’t spent.  We haven’t gone out to eat or drink but about 3 times. No shopping – except for primarily grocery shopping and the one time Gerald went to K-Mart…and you know he isn’t going to get anything other than what he came for…if that! So we haven’t spent much money.  Makes me wonder if he didn’t push me down! =)  He said once I got this foot healed, he was going to think about the other side! But would wait until we got to St. Maarten – since I usually end up spending lots of money there! =)  I’m going to have to pad myself up pretty good if we (eventually) go walking around!

So, I’ve done my foot exercises this morning. (I keep working on it!)  Both the PT and the Orthopedic Surgeon said I needed to get a full shoe to wear for support…like a tennis shoe or something. Plus, I have to wear this ankle brace.  This thing is pretty big…and I wonder what kind of shoe I can really use or wear with it!

(Not your basic size 5 1/2! - I think I need a shoebox!)

I didn’t bring any closed-shoes, only my house slippers are closed in the back.  I tried to put on my slipper with the brace, but there was no way it was going on with this big thing.  I’m not sure how a tennis shoe is going to work either? I’ve been thinking about getting some of those roman ankle sandals I’ve seen (and should have gotten at DSW when I had the chance) but I’m not sure if I can use those either because the ankle part needs to be adjustable, and you know I need to be somewhat fashionable! (Good grief - I have to have SOME dignity and standards!)   Gerald refuses to even try to pick-up anything for me to try (which, if you know Gerald’s taste, is really ok with me), so I’m going to have to go to a Payless or K-Mart or something.   In the mean time he said I should try to use one of his tennis shoes to see if it works, since it doesn’t look like any of the shoes I brought will work.  Ok…I guess I’ll try it – to make him happy.   So, with his help we put the shoe on.  Well, the heal part fits … but unfortunately I have about 4 square foot of  knock-around space in the front of the shoe. AND…it looks like something on poor Joseph (aka John) Merrick the Elephant Man!  AACCCKKK! 
(...seriously? Rachel Zoe would not even be caught dead in this...)

Now…Gerald thinks it doesn’t look bad…but there is NO WAY I am going out like this?  AAAAAAAAAHHH!  I know I may be a little vain here…but really…how many of you would go out like this?  A show of hands please…?  Ok…NONE! ...and you can stop laughing now...
 
We have neighbors now…up on the 3rd floor.  A couple with 2 little boys. No rest for the wicked huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment