Friday, February 11, 2011

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thursday, February 10, 2011:

Cleaning lady day!  YES!  She even washed the windows!  I LOVE IT!  You know…I don’t know why I’m so excited about it.  It’s not like we sit down and have a drink and great conversation.  Maybe it’s just seeing someone else…besides Gerald! =)

I love the Irish.  They didn’t start the jig dancing this morning until 10am.  They must be nocturnal…which would help to explain me.  (My heritage is Irish and I’m nocturnal.)  They were out at 8pm tonight too, having lots of fun…again!

I didn’t do much today.  Pretty much pushed my foot to the breaking point yesterday.  It hurt all night and day.  So, I’ll just rest it a while and see how it feels tomorrow!

Gerald said he heard them say the Jump Up is going to start tomorrow (Friday) at 3pm.  I read somewhere it was supposed to be held in downtown Christiansted.  But, I’m sure they have smaller celebrations all over the island.  In case you don’t know…Jump Up is generally a BIG celebration in the Caribbean. (They also have a celebration called Carnival.  St. Croix has their Carnival at Christmas time, St. Thomas in April around Mardi Gras time and St. John has theirs in June.)  Jump Up is held several times a year – here it’s usually held sometimes in February, April, July and November.  Basically started as a way to boost the economy with tourists.  Merchants, music, dancers, people dressed up in costumes and on stilts gather to entertain and have fun.  (See http://www.gotostcroix.com/jumpup/)  It’s a big party either way.  Here we go! I do love the Caribbean music…it’s so lively and uplifting.  Just what I need right now!  Gonna have to figure out how to “crutch dance” so I can  play along!

No comments:

Post a Comment