Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday, November 26, 2010 - UPDATED

Friday, November 26, 2010:

What to do today?  Nothing probably.  A worker here stopped by to see if we wanted to go on a tour of the property so they could update us about our benefits? No thanks.  No more timeshare stuff for me.  We are definitely not interested in timeshares.

I got to talk to my Dad and grandma, and we talked to Avis (Gerald’s sister) via Skype. That was fun.  There is a delay in the transmission of the voice, so sometimes it’s a little tough, but you get used to it.  It’s better than nothing. Actually, I had told my Dad that if he needed to talk to me, call on my cell phone and I would call him back on Skype because of the $3 per minute cost. But if it was an emergency, call back and keep calling until I answer. So he called and while I was trying to get my Skype ready to call him, he called again. Freaked me out! So I answered! No emergency – he forgot! Oh well!  

Rob (the “caretaker” here) stops by and brings 2 new pillows, 2 sets of sheets (1 new and one used) and a remote control (without batteries).  Progress? I guess.  I ask him about a toothbrush to clean the coffee pot per Pam and I don’t really get anywhere with him.

We also ask him about the water. It’s still yellow. He said that he would check with the office about changing the filter again but the water is generally not good to drink.  Really? Why isn’t that on the list of “amenities” of this place? Colorful, non-drinkable water?  He said none of the water in Belize is drinkable. We advise him the water was in fact very drinkable in Placencia, and in fact I think it tasted better than our water at home.  He is surprised.

The remote he brought to use with the bedroom TV says nothing about being able to work a Jensen TV. Plus, he didn’t have any batteries.  I know, I know.  I have some, but why should I use mine? If I want to use a remote, I’ll have to use mine - that’s why. But I’m taking them home with me!  The packaging is written in Spanish and Portuguese. Great. Luckily the instruction sheet has some English. Un-luckily – Jenson is not listed as a compatible TV so it doesn’t list a code to program it.  I’ll have to try to see if there is another general code that works, which means scanning manually. There are about 100 potential codes, and I have to push 4 buttons for each potential code.  I push buttons for 45 minutes until my fingers are sore and I got nothing.  I check on-line for another hour trying to find codes and still nothing.  Forget it. I’ll figure out what channel I want to watch in the living room and then change it.

Is there a positive? Sure. I got new pillows and sheets. So I figure I better get those pillow covers washed.  

I throw a load of whites and light colors in the washing machine with the pillow protectors. I haven’t done any personal laundry yet, only washed the sheets and towels from here. The end result? They are all orange now.  Our clothes are ruined (including 2 of my new Chico blouses).  I wash them again with bleach (or what I think is bleach anyway) – nothing.  So now, how do I do laundry? Wear all orange and black?  It’s the Halloween island!? I’ve just renamed it. Halloween, Belize.    I know I’ve seen other’s wearing white here … how the hell did they get them to stay white? Do they just buy new clothes after they get dirty? WTF? 

Two important things to remember about San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize:

1)      Don’t drink the water.
2)      Don’t wear whites and if you do, don’t wash them here.
3)      Don’t do any laundry here, because even the non-whites get stained.  

I think it’s time to cry now. I’m going to the store to get some more bleach … wish me luck.

Friday, November 26, 2010 - UPDATED:

We get more bleach from the store (and I have Gerald go across the street to the hardware store to pick up a 5 cup coffee pot too…I’m freakin tired of chewing my coffee.).  I ask the clerk how she keeps her whites clean (as I have been told it’s the water in Belize).  She says she just washes them! Of course, all the kids in school have white uniforms. People all over the place have white clothes.  The only people who wear orange stained clothes are the ones here in Reef Village!

I bring the bleach home and start the wash again.  This time I add about a half bottle of bleach to the water and I’m letting it soak.  I hope the material holds up or I may be coming home in threads! I’m a little stressed wondering how the crap I’m supposed to be doing any of my laundry now, so we decide to go across the street to Coco Locos to have a drink. Then maybe we’ll go to Legends for a burger for a treat for dinner. 

There are only two guys at the bar and two gals behind the bar.  One guy leaves.  We order our drinks and talk a bit.  Then I ask the one gal how she does her laundry and not turn it orange! Turns out she lives in our same building too and said she could have warned me about the water and what not to do.  Wish Pam would have done that.  I know this is a 3rd world country, and I didn’t expected it to be like home, but a little courtesy and warning about a few things would be nice, and would have saved my laundry.

But, these people seem very nice and helpful, and it feels good that someone understands.  Linda was very helpful.  She owns the bar and also a condo here.  Jillian is her daughter - she is working there too. We also met Chuck.  He owns a condo at Bermuda and gave Gerald some information about a couple other musicians on the island. He also gave us some tips on a great BBQ place up the road, so we will have to try that out.  They told us about the big Thanksgiving dinner they had over there last night - about 50 people and tons of leftovers. Had we only gone over there earlier!

Linda said that Gerald could bring his guitar over there any time, and she even has an acoustic one he can play. Linda reminds me of my sister DaLette.  Outgoing, friendly personality and looks. Linda says she does her laundry with certain additives and said she will let me see so I can get some myself. It’s nice to have assistance and help instead of a “too bad – life in Belize is crappy” response and attitude. 

My gawd, things might be starting to look up! 

We get back home and decide to make dinner here – that way we can drink more at Coco Locos!  We have baked potatoes…and they tasted really good! Got to talk to Jeff & Annie…that was fun! But it’s 9:15pm, and way past my bedtime! We'll talk tomorrow I'm sure! Till then - ‘nite all!

No comments:

Post a Comment