Thursday, November 4, 2010

November 4, 2010 - Happy Birthday Lena! - Updated

Thursday, November 04, 2010:

Morning Everyone!

Sending a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout out to my sister-in-law Lena! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LENA! WISH YOU WERE HERE TO CELEBRATE WITH ME! So co’mon down! (but you might want to bring some heavy duty skeeter lotion!)  =)

It’s cloudy this morning and cooler. I’m scratching at bites that I apparently got during the short time playing in the pool yesterday. One on my cheek, one even inside my hairline! Vicious little critters! Serves me right for bragging huh?  There is something about that pool area that the bugs like because we all get eaten up over there. I think a few minutes with a flame thrower might do the trick.  I’ll have to check to see if I have one of those in my purse. If not, I’m sure I can MacGyver one with what I do have!

Jane came by last night to see if we might want to go snorkeling today.  They were going to try to arrange a trip with a captain who hangs at Paradise to drive Patty’s boat. I’m excited at the opportunity, but unless these clouds go away…it won’t be a good day for snorkeling.

Talk soon!

UPDATE:

We hitched a ride on Alan’s pontoon boat to town via the lagoon and picked up some things. It’s an interesting thing for me shopping here. I’m used to bulk buying.  I don’t want to go to the store every other day.  But here, it seems you just can’t help it.  You only need small amounts of things – so you miss the opportunity to get the savings by buying in bulk. Ad you have to use it right away or it goes bad. Oh well. 

I bought some Oreo cookies – ‘cause I am craving chocolate.  I love them at home, but we’ll see how they taste down here.  We have found that the familiar products we see at the grocery store are a little different, and have some sort of markings that indicates or actually says “for Export Only.”  For instance, the Kraft Macaroni & Cheese is obviously a familiar product, except for some of the writing.  But to eat it, it tastes like the box it came in.  Hardly any flavor. Now, to be fair, we are using different butter than we normally do, and that can change the flavor. But it makes me wonder if they manufacture these products differently for export because the laws or government here does not have the same strict standards as the US.  Mark that down on the list of things about our government that I am grateful for.  The other thing I notice different is when you buy something at the store (box, jar or can) you can bet the expiration date is quickly approaching. Most things at home have a shelf life of several years.  Here….you get a couple weeks.  Interesting huh?  I said it before, the stores look like they are filled with flea market rejects, and I don’t think that is far off.  Probably the stores or manufactures in the US, will take the products that don’t sell, ones they can’t sell, are within a certain time period of the expiration date, and send them down here (or to other like countries).  Fascinating theory I think. And not that I disagree with it – hate to see all the food go to waste – but I sure hope the markup is for the local store owners and not the manufactures, because $1.25 usd for a 8.5 oz. can of DelMonte sweet peas is not cheap.

We also saw a furniture maker in town by the ball field that was selling his wares. Apparently he was one of the Mennonites from the mainland. He had a beautiful hand carved mahogany bed frame for $225 usd. You know how difficult it was for me not to buy it?! (hey…I could have put it in my purse! =)    There is supposed to be a flea market this Saturday, so I’m excited to go and take a look and all the stuff. 

I think the weather is not going to be good for snorkeling today, so we’ll just hang out and relax.  Darn it! I hate that when it happens!

3 comments:

  1. I think everyone would want to come and celebrate your birthday Tina if it weren't for the bugs. Saw Bob and Judy and have your web cam on the way. Have a great time Annie & Jeff My fish are always hungry. Feed them everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wish, it would be great to celebrate our birthdays together! Glad to hear things are pretty much going your way. oh my friend got me a webcam for my birthday... will be figuring it out so we can chat sometime. love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg says to eat lots of garlic or make a garlic spray. you may not have many friends but you won't have any skeeters!! (he is serious about the garlic) he sends you his love and skeeter juice! :-)

    ReplyDelete